Group of pedestrians (Winner – Publisher of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards) is Australia’s leading youth-focused publisher. We reach a unique audience of over 4.16 million Australians per month. We host PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Business Insider Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, Kotaku Australia and Openair Cinemas.
We bring young Australians the stories they want in all of their interests – from culture to technology, from business to games, from fashion to entertainment, from politics to lifestyle. And we create innovative solutions for customers that they won’t have anywhere else. Pedestrian Group is wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.
We are looking for a WordPress Developer to join our Operations team in Sydney!
What you will do:
- Build and deploy the code of best practices on the sites of our main editorial news brands;
- Build, reconfigure and maintain more than 7 sites on the WordPress infrastructure, including the change of theme of the content automatically ingested by the licensors
- Ensure our sites (including e-commerce) meet consumer UX standards and market leaders’ search engines
- Ensure site security and integrity through architecture and platform upgrades
- UX improvements and maintenance of ancillary brands and e-commerce platforms such as Pedestrian Jobs and Open Air Cinemas
- Develop ad hoc commercial and creative products that meet short-term business and editorial requirements. For example, multimedia content microsites, new features and widgets in WordPress products
- Suggest new features and capabilities on all assets to better market our sites
- Work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders including Product Manager, Technical Support, Creative Project Managers and External Suppliers
Skills and experience:
- Experience in managing internal and external development resources
- Proven WordPress engineering skills, in-depth understanding of modern themes and plugin development
- Autonomous with a desire to learn
- Previous experience managing multiple projects with tight deadlines and budgets
- Experience with Atlassian Bitbucket and GitHub deployment programs
- Expertise in front-end and back-end web development practices
- Experience in the Australian publishing industry
- Experience with Google Ads and Data Stack (GAM, GA360, Optimize360, BigQuery, DataStudio)
- Experience with WordPress VIP
- DevOps capabilities and strong interest in product development
As an employee of the Pedestrian Group, you will enjoy perks such as corporate events, wellness programs, career development courses and a flexible work-life balance. But more importantly, you’ll be working alongside inspiring colleagues who will encourage you to give your best.
- Well-being – Our company’s Culture Club holds monthly yoga, meditation and tai chi sessions both virtually and IRL, and provides mental health support to all staff, so we are all Namaste Positive.
- health and fitness – Our Good Sports corporate initiative gives staff the opportunity to register for a seasonal sport of their choice. Whether it’s Netball, Basketball, Dodgeball or even ax throwing, it’s up to you!
- Charity and fundraising – Pay It Forward is Pedestrian Group’s charity and community program, where we use our unique set of skills to help raise funds and raise awareness of issues affecting Australia’s youth.
- Work-life balance – We offer our employees flexible working arrangements and generous leave options for major life events and travel.
- Career development – We offer our employees opportunities for personal and professional growth. Whether it’s through our monthly PEDTALKS guest speaker series, online learning platforms or in-person workshops.
- Social events and team bonds – Pedestrian group offers a variety of team bonding opportunities, team lunches, local Friday arvo knockoffs, team activities, team-wide summits corporate or just a regular barbecue on the balcony with a DJ and a cheeky marg station (socially distanced of course)
We work hard and party harder!
Working at Pedestrian Group gives you the chance to collaborate with a talented team in a dynamic work environment. You will have the opportunity to develop your skills and career with one of Australia’s fastest growing digital media companies.
We believe in fearlessness and unfiltered creativity in everything we do!